Tuesday 14 January 2014

Time for some serious crafting!

Now that that Christmas madness had been and gone for another year it is time to enjoy the sun, break out the dye pots and get busy designing and crafting! It has been a little hectic but with the beginning of the new year it is time for some serious crafting! 

I do apologise for the long gap between posts, needless to say Christmas is a crazy time of year, not helped by the fact that I wasn't as organised as I normally am. We also decided to go on a holiday, one I was hoping to get some crafting done on it, but again, not as much as I would have liked got done. So I have a bit of catching up to do :) 

Just before Christmas I decided that I didn't have enough drop spindles, as I always wanted to be spinning something different on the few I had. So, as my Christmas present to me, along with some exotic fibers to play with, I purchased around 12 new drop spindles. I love having the extra spindles to be able to spin something different should the need arise :) I will share them as I do some spinning on them.
This spindle is the first of my new spindles that I started to spin on while I was traveling back on the train. It is a Ken Ledbetter mini modula. It is 22.5gms and has a Maple Burl whorl with a Burbinga hook piece. The three different shafts that came with it are made from various woods. I am spinning a blend of Tussah Silk and Merino Wool on it and I am loving the finished singles.



I did manage to do some weaving while I was away on holidays and had a go at making some shoulder bags. I liked the results, even if they were a bit rough, with one more complicated than the other.
I also managed to do some tatting on a new piece I started a while back. I had done the first round and left it at that, unsure if I should continue it. As we drove around a bit, tatting proved to be the ideal project to do in the car, so I expanded on the first row and I am on the way to finishing the third row of rosetts.
I hope you are having fun crafting this holidays :)