Thursday 16 January 2014

Spindle Spinning & A Warped Loom

So it took me most of today to get around to warping my loom. And this is the reason why...

Two things were sitting on my table this morning after I took some photo's of the dry tops I solar dyed; A loom waiting to be warped and the container with all my new spindles, waiting and begging to be used.

So the spindles won.
This spindle Would be the largest and heaviest spindle I own, weighing in at a massive 125gms! I found it on my holidays in a little craft shop and was handmade by a local. It is very different to spin in comparison to my lace weight spindles, but at the very least it is making me spin thicker yarn!

I then went from one extreme to the other; from the largest and heaviest to the tiniest and lightest.  
This one is one of the two lightest Drop Spindles I own (at the current point in time). It is a Subterranean Turkish Spindle made from Curly Maple and Sapele, weighing only 15gms. Apart from the fact that I seem to be spinning ridiculously fine on it, it has massive cute factor with being so small.

Despite all the spindle spinning, I now have a warped loom and I have woven the first little section. It isn't much to show (I've spent most of the day spindling!), but it is a start. I wanted to try a few new things with this weaving piece, so will have to come up with a bit of a design.

Anyway, I'm going to go and do some more weaving and spinning. Happy crafting! :)