Thursday 23 October 2014

A Random Act of Kindness...

Have you ever wondered when you want to learn a new craft, and you really want to learn it, that things seem to happen so you can? Well this little story is about Bobbin lace, a very old handmade lace craft that I tried once when I was a little girl at a craft weekend and have wanted to learn it ever since.

Many years later, my desire to learn this intricate lacework hadn't lessened, so about two years ago I started to hunt around for some bobbins and a pillow so I could finally have a go at making lace. Well I soon discovered that both the bobbins and pillows could be expensive, and at the time I couldn't find anyone who did bobbin lace to ask where I would get these supplies, other than over seas. So I keep looking, hoping I might one day find something that would lead me in the right direction.

Earlier this year, we went away for a couple of weeks around New Year, and we visited a very old heritage town in Northern Victoria which had a fair few antique shops. It was in one of these shops that I found my first pair of bobbins.
So I felt like I might have finally found a bread crumb that would lead me to my next pair. I did some research into home made bobbins and managed to get part way through making some before I had to set them aside. I mentioned that I wanted to learn bobbin lace to one of the ladies at a local craft group, and she said she had some odd bobbins that she had been looking to find a home for. So then I had a few more bobbins to my first pair.
I then participated in a Ravelry swap and received a home made pillow, some pins and another 8 pairs of bobbins! I was almost ready to start :)
And then the lady from craft group gave me these bobbins the last time I went. She said she had mentioned to a friend of hers in Germany, that I was starting to learn bobbin lace and her friend sent all these bobbins over for me :) I nearly had tears in my eyes from the generosity of this completely unexpected gift, A Random Act of Kindness.
So with enough bobbins to have a serious go at starting to learn the basics, I did, I started!
And I have slowly been working through some basics and I now have a couple of inches of handmade lace! Until that moment when I received those last bobbins, I hadn't realised how much I had really wanted to learn to make lace.

I had been told by many that I must be nuts, how could I possibly make such a fine lace when I can't see the thread I'm using! But this only made me want to have a go at it even more. Just because I have limited sight, doesn't meant that I can have a go and enjoy the things I want to have a go at, and if anything, being told I can't do something for that reason, will make  want to do it so that I can show that I ACTUALLY CAN! :) So, Never let anything stop you from wanting and doing the things you love!

I will return with a photo of my finished sampler lace when it is done. Until then, Happy Crafting!