Saturday 16 November 2013

Tatting some more...

After an inspiring session on tatting at craft group last month, again and again my mind has turned back to tatting and my current projects there of. Now as you can imagine, the nature of lace making is generally fine and intricate in nature. Being vision impaired definitely makes this intricate art even more challenging. So, I adapted the craft and its techniques to suit, producing some surprising results.

I have purchased over the years and found in various op-shops the traditional small tatting shuttles and have a few in my collection. However, while I can painstakingly work with the traditional fine No.20 thread, it takes a massive amount of time and concentration, feeling each tiny knot with my fingers. But if I was to continue with my tatting, I had to go back to the drawing board and re-assess how to make it easier, quicker and more enjoyable.
The concept of enlarging the whole craft isn't an entirely new one to me. As demonstrated previously I have and do work with large crochet hooks and knitting needles in my various projects to make things easier. So I searched for larger tatting shuttles and finding none, I made my own.
With my own large tatting shuttles in hand, I up-scaled my work with a thicker 4, 5, 6 even 8 ply thread and I have had fun creating quick and large pieces. I have also experimented with other types of threads and yarns with some interesting, even if undesired, results.

It just goes to show that if there is a barrier preventing you from doing something, or if something is proving to get the better of you, don't give up. A simple adaption to the process might be the only thing needed that could make things that little bit simpler and easier to undertake. 

Happy Tatting! :)