Monday 6 April 2015

The Sale Lacemakers...

I have had another amazing day today with the Sale Lacemakers and I am pleased to announce that they have created their new blog! Please go and have a look and show your support to this wonderful little lace group.

Without the support of this amazing group of women, (and encouragement from some of the ravelry lacemakers), I wouldn't have been inspired to take my lacemaking to the level it is now after only a few months of learning to do bobbin lace.

Over the last couple of weeks, my eyes have been opened to the world of possibilities that the simple art of lace (bobbin lace and tatting) as a medium holds. Since the introduction of coloured threads to lacemaking, you can now make 3D coloured flowers, 2D & 3D pictures with textures and colours like a painting, as well as another means to make a free-form woven lace scarf.

Bobbin lace is actually quite simple to learn, with only 2 movements - cross and twist - very similar to the knit and purl of knitting. Like knitting, it is only the complexity of the pattern and combinations and expansion of these two simple movements that make bobbin lace look complicated, as in reality, you only use 2 pairs of bobbins at a time.

Now, I am by no means an expert at bobbin lace, having only been learning how to do it now for nearly 4 months, but even I have started to design my own lace patterns/prickings. I have been known to jump in the deep end when learning and exploring new crafts, and I guess bobbin lace is no exception. But if I can do bobbin lace with limited sight, you can too, and I really do encourage you to try this simple yet very enjoyable and rewarding handcraft that is lacemaking.

Tatting is also quite a simple lace to make too, with again two simple stitches or knots. One of the things that I, and other tatters I've talked to, love about tatting, is that it is very compact and easy to take with you anywhere you go. One of the Ladies at the Sale Lacemakers has recently shown me a new simple yet stunningly beautiful tatting motif, and I shall return in another post to show you how simple and inspiring this tatted motif is.

So much lace and designs going through my mind and hands, I shall leave you here to go and play with my lace bobbins and tatting shuttles some more.

Happy Lacemaking!
Liz :-)